template

March 4, 2012

Where have we been?

Wow, it has been a few weeks since I last posted.  Where have we been?  We took a fun trip to San Diego to visit grandma and grandpa.  It was so nice to see the sun and sand for a few days.  The boys had so much fun, it was a good change of scenery.







Noah feeding the birds in San Diego Animal Park.


Before we left I decided it was finally time that I take care of myself and visit the doctor.  I decided to go to the gastrointestinal doctor.  Ever since I was in high school I have always had weird stomach issues.  After Noah was born I became randomly allergic to eggs, flax seed, and cantelope.  After speaking with the Dr he decided to do a blood panel to check for Celiac Disease.  I got the results while in CA.  The results came back negative for me having Celiac, but they did determine that I have a wheat and gluten intolerance.  Which is a much better diagnosis than I expected.  The good news?  I will not be more susceptible for Colon Cancer (which my grandmother had) but I still need to drastically change my diet.  The bad news?  I am a carrier of Celiac Disease.   I got it from someone in my family and I can pass it on my my children. Which means someone in my family has it undiagnosed.   One of the main indicators of Celiac in children is a diagnosis of failure to thrive, which is Austin.   So next week I have several Doctor appointments to get Austin tested.  Luckily this could answer a ton of our questions if he is positive. As much as I want those answers, I do not want for him to have Celiac.  A kid should be able to have pizza and cake at a birthday party.  So more to come on that.

We have been seizure free for 3 months!!  Not BHS free, but seizure free is the first step.  Austin is still having a BHS every few days.  He is very temperamental while teething, which seems to be the cause.  Pain is still the main trigger, but being tired and mad is the second trigger.

But we do have some good news!  Look who is walking!!


This is not his preferred mode of transportation, but at least it is a good start!  Go Austin!!

So next week we have a weight check, blood draw for both boys for Celiac screening, a sleep study, a follow up at the Neurologist, and a follow up at the gastrointestinal doctor for me.  I am hoping the doctor appointments will slow down at this.

2 comments:

Hannah said...

Having a positive diagnosis of celiac doesn't mean you can't ever have cake or pizza! You just make it differently, that's all. I have been gluten free since Naomi was born and whereas it was tough in the beginning, it isn't hard at all anymore, since I've gotten into a groove. My favorite website is elanaspantry.com. She has celiac but has such a talent for making wonderful food. She does use eggs in a lot of her recipes, but you can always substitute other things for the eggs. Also thespunkycoconut.com has lots of great recipes! You can also search for paleo and primal recipes as they do not have any grains. I was wanting to go full out paleo, but my naturopath said my body is needing brown rice and quinoa right now, probably due to nursing. If you have any questions or need some inspiration, let me know! You are always welcome to come check out my pantry and talk food :)
I am sorry to hear about your and Austin's health challenges, but it must be comforting and validating to find what the problems are and how to make changes for the better!

mexicobride said...

Thanks Hannah! I haven't adventured into GF baking yet, but I do have some flour and baking mix. I can have eggs in baked goods, but I cannot have them in their whole form. I would love to talk GF with you sometime. I could meet Naomi, she looks so sweet. As soon as things settle down for me in the next two weeks, lets plan something. Adam is changing jobs, in two weeks so I am trying to get as many dr appts out of the way as I can before we change insurances.